B&W Photography

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
Re: Another Idea - A Dedicated Monochrome Camera
In reply to Stacey_K, 8 months ago

iOne of the biggest reasons for revisualization or to "see the image in your minds eye" was to then be able to meter and determine what exposure compensation and development you needed to get the image to match your minds eye.  In reality filters were not used as much a people might think.  A 8 or 12 (what Adams referred to as a minus blue) were used to generate a little more contrast or darken the sky a little.  I would use an 8, 12 and 15 but usually nothing stronger.  I might have used a green filter one time and didn't even own a blue filter.

When I used my RB it would produce 10 negatives on a 120 roll.  If I took more than two rolls in an outing - I was really rocking.  Often times I didn't take a shot when the light was just not right.  With my 4x5 - I would normally head out with 4 or 5 holders and that would be enough for a day as you say.

I used my 35 mm for street work and might go through 2 36 exposure rolls.  However, often I just took the roll out - not fully exposed and developed it to get the pictures into the dark room.

I don't shoot digital any different than film.  I've yet to be surprised that I have a wonderful image that I got by accident.

Stacey_K wrote:

And I think the art of "previsualizing" is gone. Read though posts on B&W and they talk about "going though the files to see which color shots might work as B&W" etc. People go out and shoot thousands of shots in a day sometimes. I usually shoot less than 20, 30 at the most. I guess this comes from when I shot 4X5 and I had 10 sheets of film for the whole day

-- hide signature --

Stacey

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow