Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,051Gear list
Like?
Re: DXO scores are like MTF charts
In reply to Ulric, 6 months ago

Ulric wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I see no principal reason why a 150 mm lens with an MFT image circle could not behave as a 300 mm lens with an FF image circle (at the same f-stop). What would that be?

If the comparison is performed at the same f-number across formats, the behaviour will not be the same for any non-flat scene.

I know. I just mentioned the comparison for which I'd expect pretty much the same design challenges and therefore pretty much the same performance (at any given level of ambition and until we enter serious diffraction territory for either format).

If, instead, we compare at equivalent f-stops, I'd expect FF to be ahead by an amount varying with the point at which we compare as follows: virtually nil at f/8 (MFT) versus f/16 (FF), barely noticeable at f/4 versus f/8, noticeable but not very significant at f/2 versus f/4, and pretty dramatic at f/1 versus f/2.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow