Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Ma
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
How to improve GH3 for photography
6 months ago

GH3 is great for videos. We all know that.

But for the first 3 months that I owned the GH3, I went back to my Canon for photos because the photos just didn't look right. Which was a shame because if I wanted photos and videos, I would have to carry 2 cameras which I as not willing to do.

I thought maybe it was the lenses because I had some really good primes for my Canon and just the kit for the GH3. But as it turns out, the problem was that GH3 is not color calibrated for Adobe Camera Raw. It just let's you use Adobe Standard color profile. Unfortunately, especially with people's faces, the people seem to have an unnatural orange glow. Any adjustments to orange' hue, saturation, luminance doesn't work well. Playing with the red channel's point curve for the highlights won't make it satisfactory. Even adjusting the Adobe Standard's profile won't get it anywhere close to what I'm looking for.

Solution? PSKISS Cross Camera Profiles for the GH3. They take a set of cameras, and match them to work with the GH3. And it was all that was needed.

Adobe and Panasonic really need to work with Adobe and get official lens and camera profiles for the GH3. Seriously, the corrections are built into the raw file only applies to distortion.

If you don't want to spend the $15, you can probably use Silkypix that came with the camera for better results.

I think if people knew this, they would use the GH3 more for photography and maybe even stop saying the Olympus is better for photography. I think they are about the same.

Michael Ma's gear list:Michael Ma's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow