Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jeff23r
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Another lens question
7 months ago

Have the EM-5 with the kit 12-50 lens.  Also have the sigma 30mm.  I find (and this is my personal experience) that the 12-50 just doesnt grab me for some reason after a year, that unless i am at a closer focal range and isolated on a subject (like a face) that the output is a bit mushy (if that is a technical term) and often focus isnt on the subject I am going for (particularly when it is my fair haired, fair skinned daughter) - i dont find this at all with the 30mm, but i am sure there is some user error as well.  in addition, with two young kids, changing of lenses can often be difficult and yet when you are in the park or on holiday the longer range of some of the super zooms would be much more efficient - changing lenses when the kids run away a bit and then changing back when they are closer just doesnt always cut it and neither does changing the focal length with my feet.  Kids never do as expected and the longer zoom range is easily a good trade off for me so as not to miss pics -

When i had a Nikon DLSR i actually was happy with both the versatility and the output of the Tamron 18-270PZ - served my purposes well enough - i am no pixel peeper.

So, here are my question - would the super zooms be at least comparable to the 12-50 in terms of output?  So even if perhaps i am not getting better output i am getting more versatility in terms of focal lengths?  I am talking about the Oly 14-150 and the two Panny 14-140s?

I cant get much for the 12-50 on a trade, but can get something and would like to find a solidly priced super zoom (so i guess used, in very good to excellent condition) if i wont be giving up even more in terms of output and can benefit from the focal lengths - if output is perhaps even better up to 50, then all the better i guess.

As cost is an issue, the new Panny is probably just not going to make the cut - how does the Oly stack up?  I gather the older Panny is probably the easiest to find a bargain on with a newer version available, but is that worth it?
And, in case anyone is interested, i called tamron this morning and was told by customer service that they had no idea if the 14-150 they announced a year ago was delayed or just off the table - the quote was "i dont have a clue if we are making it or when we are making it"

Thanks as always

jeff23r's gear list:jeff23r's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow