Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to Mark Carr, 7 months ago

Mark Carr wrote:

Hi,

I have not had an opportunity to shoot, or even handle, an "X" cam, but there are a few instances when I think a DSLR's will prevail.

1) Underwater Photography - I do not know of a single manufacturer that has produced a dedicated underwater housing for a mirrorless camera.

Olympus OM-D EM5 has underwater housing

2) Wildlife - 200mm just won't work, even if you were to add a 1.4x teleconverter. For some type of wildlife photography, i.e. birding, even a 500mm lens often comes up short.

Agreed, but there is a Super telephoto zoom on Fuji's roadmap. I just hope its 400mm and that would be OK for me.

3) Bad Climate - I don't believe any of the Fuji cams or lenses are weather sealed, at least thus far. I live in the tropics and have lost two Fuji "S" cams and two Tamron lenses that weren't weather sealed. If you're shooting under normal weather conditions then perhaps this isn't a concern, but excessive heat, humidity and cold might demand a sealed DSLR body.

well the X-T1 is weather sealed and the road map has 3 weather sealed lenses this year.  Only time will tell wheter they are up to the resistance of Nikon, canon pro camera.

Comments welcome!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Mark

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow