5D3 - Just looking for affirmation really!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Private Custard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,735Gear list
Like?
5D3 - Just looking for affirmation really!
8 months ago

Right, I've been thinking long and hard about this, and now have enough cash handy to be able to buy myself a nice shiny new camera. The 5D3 is my first choice.......because I can't afford a 1DX!

I've been using a 7D for a year now, and I'm really very happy with it. The focusing system is pretty good, but not utterly flawless, as some would have you believe. Raw files start off a little soft, but can be made to shine with only a small amount of effort. Dynamic range is OK, and it has enough megapixels to allow for cropping.

My primary photography tends to be airshows. As the summer went on, I realised that I gravitated more towards props at smaller venues, meaning flightlines are closer, and the 100-400 wasn't being stretched as far as it was at larger shows with fast-jet flightlines, such as Waddington.

Check out the focal lengths on the following shots, a selection from Old Warden.

Now this all seems well within the reach of the same lens, on a full-frame body. And if I want to go further, I can always add my Kenko 1.4x extender, which has already proven itself to be brilliant IQ-wise when it was used on a friends 6D at a couple of shows.

The thing that's really pulling me towards a decent FF body, is the general extra quality that comes from not cramming so many pixels into a smaller area. From what I've seen from my friends 6D, it's easier to get a nice shallow DoF, detail and texture are rendered amazingly compared to the same shot, with the same lens on my 7D. Low light focusing seems more accurate, and ISO's can be pushed higher.....which would help with the band photography I do sometimes.

I want a body that can finally make my L glass sing. Particularly the 17-40, which has seen little use on my current crop-body (weird focal range in practice!), but will make for a lovely wide angle on the 5D3. And the 24-105 will then become my general walk-around lens.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Is my reasoning sound? Am I missing anything massive, besides the loss in reach (which can be remedied easily enough)?

Private Custard's gear list:Private Custard's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +8 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow