So why don't people ever talk about the 4/3 aspect ratio?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
I've never liked 3:2
In reply to topstuff, 6 months ago

Even as a teenager using my dad's cameras I didn't much like the width of the 3:2 frame. As a result I learned to frame more top-to-bottom, accepting that many photos would have extra "stuff" at the sides. When I learned to develop and print b&w film my prints were often cropped to 4:3 or 5:4 or sometimes square. Later on, when I went back to color and started using Kodachrome, I opted for a wider approach and began framing more side-to-side. But now I had extra stuff at the top & bottom of many photos. It was only when I got my first film scanner that I could finally crop all the color photos properly. I found I really liked 7:4 (which is very close to 16:9).

Right now most of my digital cameras are 4:3 and the two that aren't get used in 16:9 mode almost exclusively. When I print I like a squarer image and for screen (TV) display I like to fill the available width. This leaves 3:2 as the odd format out...too wide for paper (not counting panos), not wide enough for pixels. But with EVF cameras it doesn't matter!

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow