Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255Gear list
Like?
Re: No, it all depends
In reply to Lab D, 11 months ago

Lab D wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

No comparison. I am keeping the em1 for stills and just bought the gh3 - no regrets.

The E-M1 is very good if there is not any panning or highly detailed moving objects such as trees. You do need to turn down sharpening and use a flat profile too. The E-M1 also excels at handheld video due to the 5 axis IBIS that adjusts for sensor rotation. It keeps the image level, something in lens IS can't due.

The GH3 though can shoot at 60p and has a much higher bit-rate. This means for moving objects you get all the detail retained. Obviously if you are making an independent film or something for broadcast the GH3 is the way to go. If you are making home movies or need a "b" camera for quick static shots or handheld scenes, the E-M1 offers very good IQ.

When I compared the video shot in 1080/28p between E-PL5 and GH1, I found the footage from GH1 cleaner, with less compression artifacts.  Do you think the videos in EM1 is much improved since they introduced E-PL5.  I am not a pro so I do not need broadcast quality videos but I want it to be as least clean.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow