Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,075Gear list
Like?
Re: DXO scores are like MTF charts
In reply to DonSC, 6 months ago

DonSC wrote:

Anders W wrote:

The DxO scores are meant (by DxO) to be comparable across sensor sizes. Whether they actually accomplish that is another matter.

Yes that is the question, to which the answer is "not really".

There is no problem with that. You should simply compare lenses with the same AoV, e.g., 12 mm for MFT versus 24 mm for FF.

Yes but a 150mm lens is not going to behave like a 300mm lens, which is why it's best to just stay within a sensor size when referring to the DXO scores.

I see no principal reason why a 150 mm lens with an MFT image circle could not behave as a 300 mm lens with an FF image circle (at the same f-stop). What would that be?

Based on the lenses I own or have owned, the DXO scores seem to do a decent job of ordering the lenses as to quality in a line (I'd assume a sensor size). They also give you an accurate idea of how the lens behaves at various apertures and FLs. But once you move to comparing lenses designed for different formats the +/- bands enlarge.

I too am somewhat uncertain about the value as well as proper interpretation of the DxO lens tests at the moment. But that's primarily because they are not sufficiently specific about how they measure certain things. They have promised more information of that kind during this month but I haven't seen it yet.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow