Help - volunteered to photograph a wedding

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
I a n
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: Help - volunteered to photograph a wedding
In reply to WIMorrison, 7 months ago

You have lots of good advice, learning what you can, managing expectations, managing people etc.  A long time ago I was in the same spot and managed to never get a picture of the bride and groom.  I still regret that to this day but my bother and sister in law don't hate - at least they don't seem to:-)

They got what they paid for as they say.  You have the knowledge and the gear so you know the basics.  Trust your instincts and go with it.  There are a few things to do for your own piece of mind:

1. Have some back up gear - looks like you already have it
  2. Start with fresh batteries and have others on hand (I had a battery die when shooting the whole wedding party and I floundered figuring out what was "wrong" - makes you look bad when that happens)
  3. Create a shot list - I will never forget the bride and groom again...
  4. Protect the images when you are done.  Once you are done and put the camera away make sure the card is out of the camera and in a safe place.  My motto is the gear can be replaced but the pictures cannot so once you put the camera down for the evening (at some point candid shots of late night fun really don't add to the wedding coverage) separate the precious pictures from the very steal-able camera.  Just make sure you and someone else know where that safe place is:-)  When you get home download and back up those pictures.

Good luck.

PS.  I really like the idea of getting your Wife to help - make sure she works hard:-)

I a n's gear list:I a n's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow