Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

Until recently, I lustily eyed the X-series cameras as a light-weight yet capable alternative to my DSLR rather than a replacement. The X-T1 changes that in terms of the body at least. It looks like it comes close enough to DSLR performance in IQ/VF/AF performance for my purposes while offering the advantages of smaller size, weight and, in my opinion, one of the best thought out control layouts I've seen in any camera.

So what's left?

1. Battery life is still a problem. I am not a pro shooter but even I can't see myself using an EVF camera without 2 or more spare batteries. So, while solvable, it is annoying to have to buy/carry the extra batteries. In contrast, a single extra battery for my DSLR and I can be shooting for days on end.
  2. The extensive catalogue of lenses, flashes and other peripherals is, lamentably, still a differentiator favouring DSLR's.
  3. Feature-list, especially video, is still sparse on the X-system compared to recent DSLRs. Not a big deal for me personally, but it still is a differentiator.

If these 3 are addressed, I really can't see myself keeping my DSLR; and I actually like my 70D.

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow