Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,303Gear list
Like?
Re: DXO scores are like MTF charts
In reply to agentul, 9 months ago

agentul wrote:

Anders W wrote:

The 20 is indeed sharper than the 25 (at least wide open and thereabout, especially at the edges). A number of times, I have tried to ask people who claim that images from the 25 nevertheless look better, on the basis of the reasonably comparable test images provided by SLR Gear, what specifically they think looks better (in any other regard than those we can get from the difference in specs). I have so far come up empty-handed.

i have seen people claiming that the colors are better.

So have I, but none of them have been able to explain what they mean on the basis of the (very colorful) SLR Gear samples.

i'm not 100% sure, but i do notice slightly nicer colors in my pictures taken with the 25mm and 45-150 mm than in the 14-42 mm ones. it could also be entirely coincidental, though.

The color rendering of one lens relative to another is as far as I know primarily a matter of two things: Lens coatings (which may leave a tint that is usually easily corrected via WB) and sharpness (which affects color rendering too, sharper lenses showing better, more vivid, colors). So if your 25 and 45-150 are sharper than your 14-42, you are not unlikely to see better colors in the former case than in the latter.

Consequently, I strongly suspect that what we are talking about here is a Leica-badge placebo effect, which doesn't have a whole lot to do with benchmarks or the way the manufacturers adapt to them.

$530 will always look better than $300

Sure. And then a Leica badge on top of that.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow