The Fuji XT-1 is out, and it's making me wonder what's next for Pentax....

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,030Gear list
Like?
Re: The Fuji XT-1 is out, and it's making me wonder what's next for Pentax....
In reply to Rod McD, 6 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Mirror-less offers very few operational advantages over a DSLR except size, but that can be a big one if (say) you're travelling.

My best opportunities for photos are when I travel. On vacation I bring two DSLR's, a Q and a whole bunch of lenses in one large and one small kit bag. For short trips I carry a DSLR with three lenses in a small messenger bag, or the K-3 and one lens in a bag that just fits it. A smaller body would gain me nothing except compromise.

They really only offer the advantage of compactness with a limited kit - perhaps one zoom or a few small primes, and then they excel.

How does a MILC with small primes excel over a K-3 with small primes? Are you just talking about size again?

For any bigger lenses, and particularly fast zooms, it seems to me that there's a better balance with a DSLR. (Not everyone agrees). I've travelled extensively with a DSLR, and I'm not going to do so again - it's mirror-less for me. I'll use my K5 on other occasions and whenever I want to do tele and macro work.

A DSLR is the only all-purpose body. I say this as an avid birder and action shooter, and as someone with a bunch of small primes for general photography.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow