EXR Confusion not fully resolved

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,962Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's The "Party Trick" Explained
In reply to Timur Born, 6 months ago

Timur Born wrote:

I didn't write "work on the JPGs", I wrote "use in-camera JPG settings". That's a huge difference. There are settings for highlights and shadows that allow some control over how the raw data is interpreted to JPGs in-camera. Not as sophisticated as with current Olympus MFT cameras, but available to some extend.

People who use their EXR cameras as point & shoot won't care about raw development regardless of the supposed benefits. People who have control over their exposures may benefit from a raw workflow, but the more experienced and skilled they are the less they won't need it. All within the boundaries of the specific camera of course.

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

I've concentrated on bringing my X10 and X-S1 jpeg work up to a high success rate, by jiggling highlight and shadow settings. It has been a highly complex undertaking because of the way tonal curves tend to change along with changes in ISO and DR, notwithstanding L and M issues. Generally, I find that softening highlights and shadows in varying degrees can bring me close to comparable results using in-camera raw-to-jpeg conversions after the shoots. It's two ways to achieve the same outcome. Sometimes the softening happens for me in a scene, i.e., as clouds roll in or shooting moves into a building with soft indoor lighting. The variables can explode in a situation like travel photography. Then, if it's not critical shooting I switch to EXR Auto. Outside of the overexposure bug in Auto EXR DR, it rarely fails.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow