Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to contax4ever, 8 months ago

contax4ever wrote:

I'm wondering if I spent my money foolishly the past several months on A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400. I'm sensing more doom and gloom about the future of this mount the past couple of days than I have seen in a long time even though this worry has surfaced on and off in various discussions within the Sony user community for a couple of years now.

-I don't want to use these lenses with an adapter on a Sony e mount body.
-I don't want to sell this equipment to make the jump to Nikon or Canon; I'm not a pro. I use the Sony lenses and bodies because I love the products.
-I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not.
-I want to be able to use these lenses NATIVE for many years to come. I'm not big into buying used equipment either though I like keeping what I purchase new for a very long time. Still, I would hope to see multiple, successive generations of the a99 and a77 (though I'm fine if A mount sustains as full frame only).

SO IS CONTAX HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT TWICE IN MY LIFE I CHOSE A SYSTEM THAT DIED.

You and I have a lot in common. My first SLR was a Yashica FR which had the Contax/Yashica bayonet. Had it not been stolen I'd have probably have bought into that system as much as I have Sony A mount. (I switched to Olympus OM after the theft but that also went the way of to Dodo!).

I am sure many of us amateurs share these traits as I do:

-I don't want to use these lenses with an adapter on a Sony e mount body.
-I don't want to sell this equipment to make the jump to Nikon or Canon; I'm not a pro. I use the Sony lenses and bodies because I love the products.
-I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not.
-I want to be able to use these lenses NATIVE for many years to come. I'm not big into buying used equipment either though I like keeping what I purchase new for a very long time.

Sony need to realise if they continue producing a range of cameras in the A mount users like us will keep investing in new bodies.

If they ceased supporting A mount the last place I'd go is E-mount.  Not out of any stupid childish pique but because I'd want to go to a system where I felt my investment would be protected.  I'd have no confidence Sony wouldn't pull out of E-mount at some stage.

The place I'd go would be Nikon.

There are plenty of other nice systems around but none of them demonstrate any longevity e.g. even m43 has left 4/3 behind.

Ironically if Sony continue to fully support the A-mount they will be a manufacturer that can demonstrate much better longevity than that and thus breed confidence in potential buyers that their mount won't be abandoned whether that is a-mount or e-mount.

In other words continuing support for a-mount may convince people the e-mount isn't just a fad that will be sidelined when they have their next great idea.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow