Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,585
Like?
Re: Another Idea - A Dedicated Monochrome Camera
In reply to Stacey_K, 6 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

jkjond wrote:

But they would still require a different skill set to get the most from the machine.

Correct, mainly choosing the correct filter for the lens at the time of the shooting. There is still a lot of variety possible when post processing but you need to at least have a concept of what you are trying to portray. When I used to shoot B&W film, it was a different mindset, you had to look at the world and light differently to "see" monochrome. It wasn't a matter of going thru a bunch of color images seeing which might look interesting converted. I never would attempt to shoot color and B&W on the same outing, it's that different. Unfortunately these conversions look to be very pricy.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

I don't draw a line between colour and black and white. Part of me dislikes how black and white is treated as a separate branch of photography.

I grew up on film too, and didn't watch colour TV until I was in my 20s. B&W didn't require a different mindset - it was my only mindset! I've never consciously thought in terms of conversions when shooting other than in film days where I did do some filtration work, though that amounted to straight yellow, orange, red or green - no real level of sophistication.

With digital, I do have finished shots in mind when out with my camera, though I generally don't attach colour labels and often switch between the two when processing. I'd like to have a go with a dedicated mono digital, but I'd be amazed if I then wished I owned one, I can't see me wanting to solve filtration values in the field.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow