EXR Confusion not fully resolved

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's The "Party Trick" Explained
In reply to Timur Born, 9 months ago

Timur Born wrote:

Did you use default settings with the raw files of different exposures, or did you change highlight settings with each exposure? If one is allowed to work on raw files then one is allowed to use in-camera jpg options.

I think you misunderstand what I was showing.

Proponents of ooc JPEGs generally do so because they feel they don't need to do any "developing" or adjustments.

In any case, because the highlights are compressed in an EXR-based JPEG it doesn't matter what you do, it won't be easy to regain original colour or contrast.

Did you try to better match the colors/tone-mapping of raw and jpg in order to better match the balance of single color-channels?

I was showing that EXR DR ooc JPEGs are not really usable as they come (in my eyes, anyway) because of the way they are processed. The higher the DR setting, the more compression takes place and the less realistic or "actual" the colours are.

Only the RAW files retain the full colour gamut and exposure lattitude, irrespective of DR setting, at the same exposures.

Of course you can work on the ooc JPEGs, but that defeats the purpose of shooting JPEG, less fuss. And even if you do work on them you cannot restore the natural colours, especially, which are compressed and "curved" away during in-camera processing.

And, of course, there is no way to get back that highlight range which is fully retained in the RAW.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow