So why don't people ever talk about the 4/3 aspect ratio?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,427Gear list
Like?
Re: So why don't people ever talk about the 4/3 aspect ratio?
In reply to topstuff, 6 months ago

topstuff wrote:

I know this is a gear forum, but the 4/3 aspect ratio is a big deal.

Not *only* a gear forum...

It is not the same as 3/2. It is not the same as a APSC or FF , or really, ANY other camera.

People come and go on this forum talking about moving to m43 so they have smaller and lighter cameras. People wax lyrical about the EM-1 as The Best Camera Ever, but no-one talks about the aspect ratio.

The aspect ratio can make a big difference to photo making. This is a creative thing we are doing, so what is the experience of people here in adapting to 4/3 over 3/2 from a creative standpoint?

You speak as though the AR is 'fixed' - today is 14 years since I went digital; before that I had 46 years of 35mm at 3:2 and occasionally borrowed a Rolleflex which was 1:1.

At no time did I feel limited by the fact that I would have to crop to get the picture I wanted. Though obviously, there were times when I wished the sensor would expand to get all the detail I required! Sometimes filling the frame resulted in creative opportunities, sometimes not.

Was is it hard? Do you find that you have to crop more because the format seems too square? Or do you not notice?

The 4/3 aspect is a big change for some people.

I am surprised that so little talk of it takes place. Or am I missing something?

Yes, the picture is in the mind of the photographer, s/he uses the tool in hand for the job.

Don't let the camera dictate the picture!!  And don't let people tell you you can use a smaller sensor to get the 'right' AR - use the maximum sensor size available in your camera and use it to the max!!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow