Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

stimpy wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Mirroless can't compete with the focus speed of DSLRs yet, I believe one day they will, but it doesn't look like happening any time soon,

How can you say this? A matter of days ago, nobody could have predicted the new Fuji with this kind of EVF, other than Fuji connected people of course. It just hit us, bam!! How do you know somebody else won't do the same with on sensor PDAF? You have no idea what's in the works, and if you judge the future by what was made yesterday, you will miss the boat. You seem to be pessimistic and simply hoping for PDAF to take it's time. In reality, you have no idea.

I'll say it again. Mirrorless cannot compete with the focus speed (or tracking) of DSLRS. What happens in 2, 5, 25 years time is totally irrelevant. Right now, this they cannot compete. So people who want that will keep buying DSLRs rather than mirroless systems. Pretty simple.

Mirrorless is getting closer, but if size and bulk isn't a factor, a DSLR is a much better tool for pretty much everything and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Im sure you can't see it, but i guess Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, Sony, and Samsung do. Not to mention Canon

Well they certainly want it to, but looking at sales figure. Nope, not yet, and not for a loooong time (if ever)

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

I dumped my DSLR 3 years ago for a mirrorless system and couldn't be happier; but to think the best mirrorless competes with the best DSLRs is absurd. I just don't get why people even bother.

Is this what "fanboy" means?

Stimpy,

This thread is about the future.

The is NO DOUBT about the present. That is why I have a D4 and a D800e.

BUT, to be honest, the sensors in DSLRs have gotten so good that there is really no reason to upgrade. The 36mp of the D800e is as much resolution as I will EVER need. I can print as big as I want with it. The low light and durability of the D3s was the pinnacle. The D4 added 4mp but not much else.

The APS-C mirrorless cameras are not even close. But even you agree, they will be. Slowly, but surely, the gap between DSLR and mirrorless is closing. That is a certainty. There will eventually be an APS-C sensor that is as good as the D4 or D800e is today. (In my opinion, as good as is EVER needed).

Computers reached this point about 5 years ago. Unless one is doing very specialized tasks, they are more than most people need.

There are features that WILL catch up.

I think there are others that may NEVER catch up.

This thread was supposed to be about identifying those features.

Some have done so already.

Do you have some to add?

You asked what's left. I (and pretty much everyone else) is saying,

decent focus

Mirrorless camera AF (XE-1) is very very accurate. Certainly, it meets the standard "decent" already. Maybe not spectacular (ala D4 D800e) but the X-T1 looks promising in this regard, no?

, IQ

As far as APS-C sensors go, it is as good as any. Even compared to FF, it is as good as the last gen FF. (5D MKII)

and OVF.

OVF has advantages but so does EVF. The advantages of the OVF are getting smaller as resolution, frame rate and size of the EVFs improve.

It's a complete package with zero compromises except size.

At present, I totally agree. This is why I think DSLRs have reached sort of a plateau. Mirrorless cameras are changing FAST. I fully expect Nikon to release a FF mirrorless camera within the next 3 years. I'd put a large bet on it.

You make the assumption that mirrorless technology will continue to improve but mirrored cameras will not. What's to say Nikon or Canon cannot improve at the same rate, this keeping the gap significant for the next 10 years?

No doubt, they will continue to improve. But in terms of IQ, they are "there". In terms of AF, they are "there". Isn't 10 fps about all anyone would need / want? Isn't 36mp all (more than) anyone would need / want?

PLEASE don't take this personally, I am open to your ideas. REALLY. What do you think?

As it is now, the best mirrorless is years behind the best DSLR;

Many years. Yes.

and you've offered nothing to suggest this will change any time soon.

I think the X-T1 shooting 8fps, 56fps refresh rate in the near dark, .77x viewfinder are three steps towards closing the gap. What has Canon done in the last 7 years with DSLR? How much better is the 5D MKIII than the 5D MKII? Compare that to the XE-1 vs the X-T1 improvements.

No? Why not?

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow