DXOMARK.com, did you notice

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
Re: DXOMARK.com, did you notice
In reply to Dr_Jon, 11 months ago

Dr_Jon wrote:

I was just saying you don't know the lens resolution so it's no lp/mm on the sensor but lp/mm the sensor can resolve with that lens. A Canon 500 f4 might resolve 120 lp/mm on a sensor, but no-one has a sensor to see that (so it isn't relevant yet).

Of course I agree that the resolution depends on the sensor resolution as long as it is measured as DxO does it (by means of images shot by a certain body). What I tried to say is that given this restriction, the best we can do when comparing MFT lenses and FF lenses is to compare them on sensors having the same pixel count (and ideally the same strength AA filter).

Ideally, lens performance should also be measured on an optical bench so that we can eliminate (if I understand things correctly) the restriction imposed by having to rely on a certain sensor. However, I don't know if and how that works out with lenses that need to be mounted on a body in order to set focus and aperture (like all but the purely manual MFT lenses).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow