Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

Ok, I´ll bite:

1. For the "enthusiast" market, indeed APSC and micro 4/3 mirrorless cameras have made great progress. There are now very good systems that are more than enough for the average needs of photographers.

2. Even FF DSLRs are being challenged by Sony's FF mirrorless cameras. These are more than suitable for landscape photographers, for example.

3. Fujifilm is being proactive in putting together their X system, now covering a large number of camera "templates" - from rangefinder like, to SLR like. Of course they also have very good lenses.

4. However, the DSLR systems (and I emphasize "systems) are still more adequate for a lot of shooting situations. For example, nothing beats the multi-AF point tracking abilities of a 1DX or a D4. As a system, with a full complement of lenses and flashes and accessories, the DSLRs are much more mature.

5. As for the OVF vs. EVF debate, to each its own preference, of course. EVFs have come a long way, but there are situations where watching the scene unfolding in a TV screen is not very conducive to one's engagement with the scene.

Personally, I enjoy using my X cameras and lenses, as much as I enjoy using my Canon 6D with 50mm lens. Both allow me to keep my shooting simple and efficient, but they are different tools for different strides. It says a lot that mirrorless camera makers are resorting to a retro, or vintage, SLR template in the hopes of attracting more buyers to their camp.

Finally, mirrorless has a long way to go before even threatening DSLR sales...

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow