EXR Confusion not fully resolved

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
Re: the data is there when it should be, and not when it should not ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 6 months ago

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Timur Born wrote:

L and M both use two stored halves and can use DR 100... The source data is the same anyway, while the development is different (EXR HR demosaicing vs. SN blending + Bayer demosaicing).

Well, when DR100 is used, there is never any difference between the two sets of pixels. Meaning that they are all exposed the same. So you can choose to bin them or use them as a larger image. That can be an after the fact decision, regardless of how the camera was set.

Two wordings, same content.

In the camera, this is controlled of course by firmware's response to your settings. But in a RAW converter, the user would issue the command again, since the pixels are perfectly suitable for either use.

There is no raw converter that leaves this decision to the user. Those that properly support HR/L size images read the information from the raw file and act accordingly and automatically. So the information must be in there.

Of course, Adobe products don't offer a user interface specifically for the EXR sensor. As it is, I don't know if any converter other than perhaps Silkypix has any knowledge whatsoever of the possibilities with that data ...

Lightroom, Silkypix support both M and L size images, with and without DR. Last time I checked (and remember) CaptureOne only supported M size and did crash if the image was already binned by the camera. On the other hand CO had the best implementation of EXR DR of the three. It's been quite a long time since I did that comparison, so things may have changed for CO and Silkypix, last time I checked LR still had the issue of turning highlights from the clipped half of the X10 sensor towards purple tint.

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow