Switching from DSLR/mirrorless to fixed-lens (like X100S)?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CardigansFan
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Switching from DSLR/mirrorless to fixed-lens (like X100S)?
3 months ago

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are getting something like a X100S as a primary camera. Right now I have a Samsung NX300 and the gear listed in my sig/profile, and I certainly can't complain with the image quality and versatility of it.

But at the same time, I'm a rather minimal person, and the amount of space my NX300 and related gear (including boxes) take up, compared to a single fixed-lens camera and it's box...its kind of a no brainer which I would prefer, especially when going on a trip (where it'd be the difference between taking an extra bag for the camera and just putting the camera in a bag).

I mean, when I can get at least similar image quality and features between the two (at least from what I've seen), its making it hard to not just sell my NX300 right now. The main thing holding me back is the inability to have a zoom lens like my 50-200mm...but I haven't encountered many situations so far where that 200mm zoom came in handy (between not having anything that didn't look better at 20mm or not being able to get a decent shot due to inadequate light). On the flip side, I don't see myself going into zoom lenses, considering how expensive they can get.

Maybe its because most of my shots tend to be wide/landscape shots as well?

In any case, I figure I can also pick up a cheaper-but-still-decent camera like the NX1000 and a manual focus 400mm lens later if I really end up jonesing for a zoom lens.

Thoughts?

CardigansFan's gear list:CardigansFan's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D +5 more
Fujifilm X100S Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow