Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh?
In reply to Great Bustard, 8 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

This thread and my OP is about the lens options, not equivalency. I'm comparing the best HG and SHG Olympus lenses to what is available from Nikon in FX. I'm clearly writting about finding Nikon f/2.8 that will perform as well as Olympus HG and SHG lenses. I'm comparing the best lenses of one brand to the best of another.

OK. But you said:

"Don't bother looking for anything like a 50-200 mm f/2.8-3.5 in FX for close to the same price. You'll need the 200-400 mm f/4 for US$6750."

No, the 200-400 / 4 on FF is like a 100-200 / 2 on 4/3, not like a 50-200 / 2.8-3.5. The 70-300 / 4-5.6 on FF (equivalent to a 35-150 / 2-2.8) is a lot more like a 50-200 / 2.8-3.5 on 4/3 than is the 200-400 / 4 VR.

The 200-400 is more like the 90-250 2.8 and the odd thing is they are nearly the same weight and cost go figure

It's unfortunate that someone has hijacked this thread to start an argument about equivalency with as many people as he could get angry enough to reply. He's kept it going by bending the subject to fit his ever-changing points.

The above more than explains why a discussion of Equivalence came about.

I wish people would stop responding to this inane argument, ignore people who post these off-topic flames and Complain when they get abusive. You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to.

I got just the thing for you: a Panasonic FZ200 with a 24-600 / 2.8 lens. Smaller, lighter, and way less expensive than any DSLR or mirrorless ILC system and none of them have a lens like that. As an added bonus, you'll never have to "struggle" for more DOF.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow