Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,940Gear list
Like?
Re: Another Idea - A Dedicated Monochrome Camera
In reply to user_name, 11 months ago

user_name wrote:

Lord Mox wrote:

I've for long been an admirer of b&w photography. In the last few weeks, I've been thinking of buying a second camera as a back up to my main one. I am not a professional nor will ever be (lack the creative talent, and have a decent career that I love).

So, for a camera that will be used mainly (about 90% of the time) for black and white, what are your recommendation? I am asking in Nikon forum, because I will be using Nikon glass. I have 5 of those currently and my main is d600.

Or may be, I should approach the question from a different angle. Does black and white photography requires different features (e.g. dynamic range, resolution etc...) than color? What should be my focus in trying to find a suitable b&w camera?

(Film is out of the question as I barely can understand digital, and there are not many developing sites in my area).

I hope I made my question clear and have not confused you in anyway.

Thanks all,

-LM

You can have a digital camera converted to a monochrome camera.

Why would you do this? Removing the color filter array (RGB filter) significantly enhances the resulting picture's sharpness and resolution.

You can't achieve this resolution by simply converting the raw color file by any post processing.

One company that does this modification is MaxMax.com. Check out their website to see just how much of a dramatic difference this can make.

I don't know what your budget is, but you buy a used camera such as the D700, an inexpensive DX camera, or maybe even a used D600. The result should be very, very good. You just can't take color photographs with a converted camera.

If you are really serious about B&W then NEVER do this.  Just my opinion.  But B&W is something to be done in post processing.  You want all the color data at your disposal to be able to have full freedom of the output.  Again, my opinion, but the higher resolution you would get by doing a sensor filter conversion is more than offset by the creative freedom you would lose in post.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow