Like?
Re: Can you see color? How well? Test!
In reply to Morris Sullivan, 7 months ago

Morris Sullivan wrote:

EthanP99 wrote:

did this years ago for a job...

I got 0

of course our monitors are the highest grade possible so it was pretty easy

I got a 7, I'll blame my $125 monitor at work.

With some time I might have gotten better. I quickly noticed that I needed to look away for a few seconds and look back to see some of the closer colors. If I looked to long they started blending.

That is because your cones became saturated. Look at a beige or medium gray color for 15-20 seconds, then go back to the test.

The thing that surprised me (and most people) is that the majority of us have zero color memory.

If you were to look at 25 paint swatches of medium blue, and you selected one swatch and noted the number on the reverse. And then you walked into another room, spread all the swatches on a table and tried to find the one you had previously selected - you would fail. We can remember the length, width and depth of something, but are unable to remember a color exactly.

And be aware of metamerism. This is a situation where a color appears different under two different light sources. For instance, you buy a green necktie at a store that has cool white fluorescent lighting. The tie should look perfect with your green suit. But, when you get it home and look at it in your living room (which is lit with incandescent bulbs) it looks entirely different - and doesn't match your suit. This is caused by metamerism.

In the past, most people had no system for judging color. Wise people used a light booth because they offer daylight, incandescent bulb and cool white fluorescent light sources. However, today many people invest in Spectrophotometers which can show a color deviance and print out a nice graph for review.

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
hahaNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
738New
(unknown member)
4New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
187New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow