Comparing Olympus 4/3lenses to FX "Full Frame" offerings

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparing Olympus 4/3 lenses sizes to FX
In reply to bofo777, 10 months ago

Hi John,

I have been shooting the E-5 for a couple of years and the E-3 for 3 years before that. The Camedia C-8080 was my first digital camera in 2005. I really like Olympus lenses. I had 9 HG and SHG lenses. I still have three of the best, most unique lenses for which I have found no substitute in FX: the Pan/Leica 25 mm f/1.4, the 11-22 mm f/2.8-3.5 and the 8 mm f/3.5 fisheye.

I have many reasons for switching systems. Not everyone will agree with these but here goes. First, I like a large body DSLR with full size lenses. With the switch to micro 4/3 and the abandonment of 4/3 DSLR I felt it was a bad omen for Olympus. I don't like how my 4/3 lenses fit on m4/3. I have big long hands so I don't like the small body and limited creative controls. I don't care for digitally corrected lenses - I want optically correct, excellent sharpness. I want better, faster lenses, not less IQ. When Olympus announced that the E-M1 would replace DSLRs I felt that I didn't want to invest any more money in Olympus equipment. I don't want too buy any m4/3 gear. I don't want to buy into yet another system of lenses.

I still have an E-PL2 I bought for my wife last year. We have 2 kit lenses and the 35 mm f/3.5 macro for that camera. It's plenty for her and she's happy with it. It beats anything she's used before in a P&S.

Now that I've made the switch and done lots of reading about Nikon FX lenses I realize how good Olympus lenses are and how hard it is to find an equal for some of the lenses. I've paid a dear price for the switch in both time and money. Especially the time it took to sell the Olympus gear and research the new system. Now I'm on page 100 of a 400 page manual for the new body. Looking back it would have been easier and less expensive to stick with the E-5 for a while. But I'd be faced with the same decision a couple of years from now, whenever I had to replace the E-5.

My 3 lenses are still available in the For Sale forum. Read my OP and convince yourself that you could use the best Olympus lenses for their unique uses and high IQ.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow