Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
A7r sharpen settings in LR
11 months ago

I have always wondered about why lightroom sharpen setting is always set to 25% under the 'details' tab. Was just reading a book and they said there that this is because of the AA filter found in many (almost all) digital cameras. One almost always loses some sharpness due to this filter, so it's set automatically to 25%. Then I thought that the A7r has no AA filter and perhaps doesn't need that 25% standard sharpening and decided to check this out.

I shot this social activity last sunday in the library I work at and when I was developing the photos, I somehow thought they all looked quite artificial, especially the skin. But I found out now that this has to do with exactly this issue.

I'm a lazy cow, especially with about 150 photos, so I didn't do any sharpening etc. myself, but used lightroom default setting and chose for standard sharpening when exporting, but this leads to quite some oversharpening when looked at 100%. It's not extreme, but still quite visible when pixelpeeping and some programs or sites, like facebook, strenghten the weak parts of photos when downscaling the photos.

Anyway, I have made 4 versions of a 100% detail from one of the photos, it goes from default sharpened plus extra sharpened to not sharpened at all, there has been no other editing:

Default 25% sharpening in Lightroom + standard sharpening when exporting

Default 25% sharpening in Ligthroom, no sharpening when exporting

0 sharpening in Lightroom, standard sharpening when exporting

0 sharpening in Ligtroom, no sharpening when exporting

What do you guys think? I think It's definitely something to keep in mind when developing RAWs of the A7r, especially when cropping a lot. In the first photo there is a bit more detail but also the sharpening gives the skin a very unnatural look. If one would want a real smooth look, the last option is actually the best.

I've read here and there that some people think that the A7r raw files handle much less pushing around then other raw files. Coming from the nex7 I also thought this was the case in some specific situations. But there is the possibility that this default 25% sharpening is a partial cause of this issue.

Is there a way to tell lightroom to put the default sharpening to 0 instead of 25%?

-- hide signature --

Sezai E., philosophy geek, bibliophile and creative photographer.
Cheers!

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow