Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,683
Like?
Re: D800 Autofocus issues II
In reply to turbsy, 8 months ago

turbsy wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

It is a matter of your constant moaning about the same old issue that makes it come to my attention.

My D800E handles AF more reliably and accurately than my D700 did. The D800E will work at an effective aperture of f/8 while the D700 could only manage f/5.6. This claim that the D700 was superior is just BS.

Perfect results in low light and low contrast with almost no DOF is more than you can expect from PDAF. Get over it.

I'm beginning to suspect you are on Canon's payroll.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Robin, please - you are a self professed f/5.6-f/8 shooter you've said it before. I would not expect you to see such issues. You noticed the focus shift in tungsten light likely because this forum got you to check for it. I'm glad your AF works! If you consult the last thread you'll see many notice the issue I am talking about.

You wrote: Perfect results in low light and low contrast with almost no DOF is more than you can expect from PDAF. Get over it.

Sorry but your argument is seriously flawed over pdaf, I never had these issues on a D700, focus was good even with fast primes most of the time. And before you jump in with the more megapixel nonsense, the focus errors are noticeable on a 12MP downsize from the D800, indicating this is something to do with the AF system not sensor resolution.

Do you know for a fact that shooting at 12mp and downsizing after thethe shot is taken will produce the same results?

There was a discussion recently on whether downsampling from 36 MP showed more detail than shooting with a lower res camera. There were quite a few who claimed it did. I no longer have my D700 to do a careful comparison with my D800E.

primeshooter is making a strawman argument about my preference for f/5.6-f/8. I'm was not saying I've never seen AF problems in low light at f/2.8 and wider. I'm saying perfection in these situations is more than one should expect from PDAF.

He claims that he sees the problem at f/2.8 and that the D700 is superior in these conditions. I find both claims less than believable. When the forum was discussing PDAF at wide apertures in tungsten (incandescent) light I saw the problem at f/1.4, but by f/2 it was much improved and by f/2.8 the it was gone. Since then, Nikon updated the firmware to improve PDAF in incandescent light. Furthermore, the D700 PDAF is not superior to the D800 PDAF. The opposite is true. The D800 PDAF handles low light better than the D700 ever did.

The main point is that it has been two years. If primeshooter cannot adapt to what the technology can do, he should stop expecting it to work for him. Wait and hope for the technology to improve, or develop the skills to accomplish what he wants without PDAF. In any event he should stop whining. Pestering this forum with his incessant moaning will not cause PDAF on the D800 to improve.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow