Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,326
Like?
Re: Perspective on perspective
In reply to Bmoon, 11 months ago

Bmoon wrote:

citizenlouie wrote:

DoF equivalency has little to do with actual photography. When I got a new camera, I learn its differences and adopt the different shooting style.

If you must insist on knowing why (for example) a 75mm @ f/1.8 is the same across the platform, consider this: It's not the focal length, nor aperture that give a 75mm f/1.8 lens a greater DoF on a 4/3 per se. It's the fact on a 4/3 (or m4/3) camera, you simply have to stand twice as far to get the same field of view. Therefore the depth of field is lessened due to subject-to-focal-plane distance. This is further complicated by the fact 4/3 lenses are designed for a squarer format sensor. I have no idea how some of you guys can be so sure that a f/1.8 on a 4/3 sensor is exactly f/3.6 equivalent on a FF sensor, not to mention 4/3 sensor is squarish, so the angle of view calculation would be different so will be the lens design (and I have a feeling telecentric lens design will give a greater DoF, just a hunch, not proven though), so the DoF is a lot more complicated than simply double the number.... But does any of these calculations meaningful in actual photo taking?

If you want to compare apple to apple, go use a Nikon D800 on a tripod at a fixed distance, use a FX prime lens (for example, a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G), and shoot one photo in FX mode and one photo in DX crop mode and everything else remains constant (e.g., 35mm @ f/1.8 @ ISO 200 @ 2 meters from subject). I assure you both photos will have the same DoF. It has nothing to do with whether it's FX (FF), DX (APS-C) or 4/3. If D800 could take a 4/3 lens, and do the exact same experiment, the DoF will be similar also at the given FL.

See some of us photographers have this thing we like to control in photography its call perspective

There always has to be one awkward one.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow