Help - volunteered to photograph a wedding

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,891Gear list
Like?
How demanding are the prospective couple?
In reply to WIMorrison, 10 months ago

WIMorrison wrote:

I have have been volunteered by my wife and daughter to photograph a family wedding and whilst I am a competent photographer weddings - in fact people photography is not my sceene as you can see from my website.

does anyone have some good suggestions - other than pay someone to do it for me - that might help me along the way and stop me making a complete idiot of myself ending up with average photos which is not what they expect.

many thanks for any hints and tops you send my way

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

Your skill is probably not going to be the weak link.. from what others have determined.

If the B&G are particularly demanding it can put pressure on even seasoned wedding photographers.

If they are easy going (not meaning 'don't care') then you can relax enough to do your job and even enjoy it. If you can get the minimum the formals  (these are essential) most of the day will be lost on them and they will accept what you  give them in the way of informals.

If they are very demanding then that usually means the wedding is secondary to them. It's what they want others (work colleagues at work or best friends) to imagine the day went like from the album.

Yes I have had clients who spent their wedding day like a photo shoot.. That's ok if they can act to the camera.. some on the day realised they couldn't and ended up with  'typical' wedding cover.

It can be enjoyable, though hectic in spit and spurts... you have to be ready for quick action. In your place I would forget the primes and stick to a good fast 24-70 zoom.

Don't practice with 'good ideas' on the day unless you really do have the time!

If you play with your gear on the day the magical moments will be gone forever.. so do yourself a favour and keep the distractions to a minimum.

my 2 cents

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow