Suggestions and which backpack do you use?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,865Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestions and which backpack do you use?
In reply to VirtualMirage, 8 months ago

VirtualMirage wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Thanks for the reply, you put a lot effort

I cannot afford another CZ lol at least for another year. I don't have a mid-zoom nor can afford one for a while. I am hoping sigma 24-105 f4 is out by then.

As for f2.8 it helps a lot in low light situation, I recently posted a few pics with my new gear - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52978178

But I could live with f4 for the range.

I'm glad I could help.

The way I see it, F/2.8 in a zoom should be fairly sharp to be considered useful. Otherwise, the only benefit you are getting is more light to aide in focusing. But if sharpness doesn't become acceptable until F/4, then what real benefit does it have over an F/4 lens that is sharp wide open if it is still bright enough for your camera to focus?

Once in a blue moon, sharp or not, the F/2.8 becomes helpful. But more often than not, I am stopping down to F/3.2 or F/3.5 at minimum to eek out a little more resolution. Having to do that makes less of a difference between it and F/4. That's where the Zeiss comes in.

Right now, I am torn. I am still waiting on my Sigma 18-35 F/1.8 (which the latest e-mail from Sigma I got last week say possibly end of February), which will fill in my focal length void that is missing between 16mm and 24mm. I am also itching to get a new lens or some other photo equipment (Christmas money plus some side job money).

Zeiss 16-35 is very good. But seeing that you have 11-16 may be you'll be better served with sony 16-50. Not sure if you actually need FF lenses.

Right now, the weakest link in my lens set is my 70-210 F/4 beercan. It is my oldest lens as well as my slowest, everything else I have is F/2.8 or faster. I keep toying with the idea of getting a 70-200mm F/2.8 (but which one), but have a hard time deciding between the newer Tamron or waiting to see if Sony comes to their senses and lowers the price on their new 70-200 refresh ($3K is too much in my opinion for just updating the coatings, the SSM, and weather sealing it). The heavy focus breathing on the Tamron is my main turn off and I am not sure how much or little the Sony breathes. I also thought about investing in another prime, maybe the Zeiss 135mm, but I keep wondering if Sony will be refreshing that lens soon and add SSM. My last idea was to replace my Sigma 24-70 with the Zeiss. I like my Sigma, but I find myself using my primes more and more since they are sharper at larger apertures, relegating the Sigma for when I do my studio portraits.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Right now everything that is not wide angle is my 'weakest link' lol. My telephoto is beercan, my primes are minolta 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.7. Thats pretty much it lol. Tbh, it will remain this way for a while for me. I am sure I can still manage to gather nice pictures with these.

If you read reviews especially Kurt munger the tamron 28-75 f2.8 seems to give very good IQ comparable to zeiss. So may be thats an option for you? The sigma 18-35 will cover the missing range.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow