A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the way to but a Panasonic ZS25.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Year77
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the way to but a Panasonic ZS25.
3 months ago

As you can see by my current and past gear list, I have a bit of a soft spot for the Canon cameras, especially the S and G series PowerShots, having owned probably more than my fair share of them. After all, they are high quality cameras. In the past couple of days, I was involved in a somewhat heated discussion with a Panasonic evangelist regarding the ZS line vs. Canon PowerShots. Having owned a few Panasonics, I assumed I had some authority from experience in my arguments but I realized that I was being critical of a line (ZS) that I had not actually owned or tried yet. So, in the spirit of fairness and to satisfy my own curiosity, I set off to the local Costco to purchase a ZS25 they have on sale right now for $199 USD, after a $50 instant rebate.  If figured with the liberal return policy, I have nothing to lose but some time.

So anyway, I show up to check out the goods and just before I pulled the trigger, I saw something new. Down the display a bit was a Samsung WB350F, sporting a 21X Optical Zoom with a relatively fast f/2.8-5.9 lens, starting at the 23mm mark. Hmmm, 23 mm @ f/2.8? 16MP BSI-CMOS sensor, PASM mode dial, in-body Panorama, WiFi, Hybrid Touchscreen, simulated leatherette case, classy brushed aluminum top plate, built-in flash with bounce capability, remote capture with smartphone app, social networking integration, etc., etc. Basically, all the bells and whistles. Fresh from CES 2014, almost no info on the Internet, no reviews, nada.

So I figure, what the heck, It's got 21X optical and a faster lens than the ZS25 so, the ZS25 will have to wait.

I bring it home, snap a couple dozen test shots and import into Lightroom. Oh, oh. I'm rubbing my eyes. No noise at ISO 400, none. Sharp as a tack, can't be. I try a few shots at f/2.8. What?! Bokeh? This can't be real, I must be hallucinating. I'm going to wait until the sedatives wear off and do some comparison shots. I'm afraid, very afraid. I don't think I'm ready for Rev. Samsung Moon yet. Please help me.

-- hide signature --

Super Snapper.

Year77's gear list:Year77's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 (Lumix DMC-TZ35)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow