Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
S90 Vs S95
9 months ago

I've had the S90 since they were introduced.  Today I received a used S95, and took two shots with each to compare, and to be sure the S95 was OK - it is.

I thought perhaps others here would be interested in the simple comparison.  On my resolution chart, they both show the same resolution; but the S90 is softer at default, so it takes one step more sharpening in My Colors to get equal resolution - but in adding the extra sharpening, there is more evidence of sharpening halos.  That was shot at ISO 160 on both cameras.  The S95 also has slightly more contrast.  Color rendition is the same.

On a large stuffed tiger on the hearth, a head shot at ISO 800 was a little sharper and slightly more detail visible in the "fur" in the neck ruff with the S95.  But I had to pixel peep to see it.

The controls are very similar, except that the power and ring buttons are interchanged - no big thing.  Also, the rear controls are all moved down a few mm to make more room for your thumb, and to help prevent inadvertant inputs. Both are specified to have 3" LCD's; but the S95's is a little bigger.

The a more subtle difference is in the location of the holes to attachr the wrist strap.  On the S90 they are midway up the right side; but on the S95, they are at the top corner and a little smaller.  I use a neck cord with the S90, and getting it's end through the little hole turned out to be a struggle.  Might be a better location for a wrist srap; but it's not as good for a neck cord.

The Franiec grip from my S90 fits perfectly.  Getting it off the S90 was a chore.  It makes a HUGE improvement in handling.  They are no longer available; but the Flip-bac grip works almost as well.  I also use the Lensmate rear wheel protector ring on my S90, and it fits on the S95 and later S models.  It's not as important on the S95; but it's still easier to disturb the rear wheel and depress one of the four-way switches than it ought to be - so I still recommend it.  Oddly, the thumb rest on the S95 is smaller than on the S90.  I added a piece of Velcro pile for more traction on both cameras.

If you have an S90, and are happy with it, keep it.  The S95 is a small upgrade; but at least it's in the right direction - upward.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow