Why Scott Kelby really switched to Canon

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
Re: He's in for a shock in Lightroom
In reply to marike6, 7 months ago

Although I do agree that Nikon FX have greater dynamic range than sensors in Canon line, after watching Scott Kelby's video explaining why he switched, it was for some of the control functions or most notably the wheel to review and mark images and get them out quickly for sending out images from pro sporting events to publishers. The speed of AF and tracking and dynamic range of the 1Dx (Canon's top full frame camera) was more than sufficient, even if Nikon's is better.

I only use Nikon myself, although I saw another pro use the Canon FF 5D2 camera with this wheel on back that can flip images extremely fast going through images hundreds in a few seconds to find an image to mark or review (Nikon not so fast), and the Canon wheel also doubles for exposure compensation quick adjust + or - and it works great (I used the wheel on a Canon 30D awhile back before selling camera). Not enough for me to switch from Nikon FX to Canon in FF, but it may be worth Nikon looking at maybe incorporating similar wheel into a future camera. Would be very useful to a sport photographer getting out photos to newscasters quickly on the  same day marking images incamera to export, while shooting hundreds of images in bursts, which is what Scott Kelby also specializes in doing in his pro work in Football etc. So good tool for him.

I stay with Nikon FX myself because I prefer all of its other unique features especially dynamic range and ADL function. I do portraits and weddings and not sports work so different needs.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Olympus PEN E-PL1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow