Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,104Gear list
Like?
Re: The Math Matters!
In reply to tcg550, 10 months ago

financial gain - the root of that is finance -aka, MONEY.

Perhaps you should say 'economic advantage' or 'assett gain' or experience or education or some such.

And yes, value varies, on most everything. What is a house worth? Depends where it is - Beverly Hills CA or South Central LA,next to a farm in iowa or beach front property in florida.

That's why 'what to charge' isn't a flat dollar figure. What is the 'going price' in your area for what you want to sell?

Wedding photography here can be from $600 to $5k and probably higher. What should I charge? Depends...have I got work/reputation/product/gear to compete with other $5k photographers? Can I make a living at $600? What kind of customers do I want to serve?

If I book a wedding for $2900 is that good? You don't know, even using the figures above. If I shoot, burn and do no editing and work 6 hours, yes, it's fantastic. If I need to work 12 hours, spend 20 editing, pay a second photog and 2 assistants, deliver 3 albums and 3 wall portraits, printed proofs, slideshow and video of the day perhaps it's not so great.

-- hide signature --

Don't seek advice from someone who is not where you want to be - CJ Lewis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow