ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mmhendrie
Regular MemberPosts: 420
Like?
Sony 55-300mm woes
10 months ago

Guys,
So finally got out to the zoo to give my new Sony 55-300mm lens a run with my a77. Must say, I'm having some trouble with it. I was quite excited with this setup based on the reviews I'd read. Previously I used an a57 and the Minolta 75-300mm 'New' lens. I used to get really nice sharp results when stopped down around 7.1 with the 'New' - but was excited by the Sony 55-300 as many say it's sharp wide open.

So yesterday I took it out and tried shooting wide open. I'm not really experienced enough to know what my issue is - most of my pics just look mushy - not really front/back focused, almost like there is no point of focus. The sort of results I'd expect doing a 1:1 on an old P&S - nothing looks particulary sharp. I shot in bursts with fast shutter speeds, so i didn't think shake was the issue. I did get some sharpish shots, but I think I used to get a lot more with my Minolta 75-300mm. Perhaps I need micro-adjustment? Perhaps I should be stopping it down some? Any users on the lens care to weigh in?

Here's the best two shots I got - zoo go'ers will know these are the easiest two animals to shoot! Unfortunately, neither hold up super well at 1:1 for sharpness, but this was the best I could do.

thanks in advance,

-Matt

-- hide signature --

www.wingedwarriors.co.uk

Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow