EXR Confusion not fully resolved

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,357Gear list
Like?
the data is there when it should be, and not when it should not ...
In reply to Timur Born, 6 months ago

Timur Born wrote:

EXR related EXIF tags are not available in the X10 files (neither via ExiftoolGUI nor Exiftool command line). Dynamic range tags are available, but don't tell whether an image is meant to be L or M.

Well, I am looking at a JPEG shot with the X10 right now and it has: PictureMode Auto, EXRAuto Manual, and EXRMode DR.

A second JPEG shows the same settings, except for the EXRMode being SN. And it

So the tags definitely do exist in the X10 ... but it does appear that they are removed in RAF files, which makes sense since the SN and DR processing is in fact a product of the exposure and processing. And the exposure is well documented in the DynicRangexxx fields.

So there is no need for more info than that provided, and adding it to the RAF file would actually be misleading.

Seems like there is some information hidden in the RAF that is not readable by Exiftool. If I find time I will take a look at how these are converted to DNG.

I suspect that the JPEG carries it because SN and DR are exposure and processing concepts, while the RAF carries only the exposure related DR settings. And of course either one or two RAF data blocks, which is very obvious in the Maker section.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow