Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 2,451Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor.
In reply to Heaven is for real, 3 months ago

Heaven is for real wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

secondclaw wrote:

I have encountered this issue with A7R and metabones adapter so I ended up flocking insides of the adapter with optically non-reflective paper, and it mostly mitigated the issue. It's still there but tolerable.

Here's a shot that produced a starburst effect, and no flares, in the moon or the lights on the side. It's at f9, but result's pretty much the same at f11.

A7R + Metabones 3 + Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZE, 30s @ f/9

I think you're also getting some help from your lens. It's designed for a longer registration distance and therefore isn't passing rays at such extreme angles.

So it is the lens then not the sensor...

Not really. Its the sensor and one way to avoid it (IE, workaround) is to get lenses with longer registration distances. Another workaround is to avoid stopping down so much - in your case, I said "some help" because you've also avoided the issue by only stopping down to F9. I suspect we can see the beginnings of the issue by looking at a larger file size.

But there is a post like this: Take the ZM 35 and use it on a Leica and then on the A7 and you will have the problem on the A7, but not on the Leica. Leica had to deal with this a while back and have been able to design their sensor films to avoid this issue. Sony have decided to let the public suffer through their design process.

BTW - I love this shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
5N?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow