Suggestions and which backpack do you use?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,338Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestions and which backpack do you use?
In reply to nandbytes, 7 months ago

I use the Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW, as seen here:

http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-302-aw

It holds practically all my gear, has nice padding, and is pretty comfortable to wear, despite its ability to get pretty heavy. I like being able to sling it around and get to my camera quickly as well as when I am in tight places.  It also makes for a great camera stabilizer when swung around to the front.

Currently, my bag is carrying all of the following:

• A77 with vertical grip and a Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 EX DG IF HSM
  • Sony RX100 compact camera in its own bag(when the wife doesn't have her purse)
  • Sony 35mm F/1.8
  • Sony 50mm F/1.4
  • Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Macro
  • Tokina 11-16 F/2.8
  • Minolta 70-210 F/4 "Beercan"
  • HVL-F56AM Flash plus extra batteries
  • Battery charger for the A77 and for my RX100
  • Rocker blower
  • Intervalometer
  • Flash diffuser
  • Datacolor Spydercube
  • Multiple microfibre clothes
  • Pack of Tiffen disposable lens tissues
  • Bottle of Zeiss lens cleaner
  • Lens brush
  • 55mm Polarizer filter
  • Shutter release cable and trigger (wired and wireless)
  • 14" collapsible reflector
  • Travel medicine (Imodium, Tylenol, Advil, etc.)
  • Multiple silica gel packs
  • Memory cards
  • QR plate to mount my camera to my ball head
  • Some extra padding to keep the smaller lenses from moving around

Hmmm, I think that is about it.  When my Sigma 18-35mm comes in, I am going to have to start rotating my lenses or stack my 35mm and 50mm into one compartment.  Of course, if the 18-35mm is as good as they say it is, I may no longer need my 35mm prime.

The built in rain poncho/tarp works out pretty well too, allowing you to still wear the bag when it is being used.  The tripod/monopod holster works out pretty well too.

If I had any gripes about the bag, it would be the following:

• You can't change which side you want the shoulder sling to be on.  When properly worn, it only rests on the right shoulder.  It would be nice if, from time to time, you can switch it to the other shoulder.
  • The waist belt is comfortable when used and really takes a load off the back, but the belt can be a bit uncomfortable when you don't want to use it since it will either dangle down if not buckled or will jab you in the back when buckled.  It would have been nice if this was removable for those times it isn't needed.

The bag has traveled a bit and I have had no issues bringing it on as a carry on since it is still small enough to fit within the size limits.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow