Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?
In reply to DonSC, 11 months ago

DonSC wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Just in case you didn't already know, Paulmorgan (alias Alumna Gorp alias Silvernitrate) is the number-one shutter-shock denier on the forum. Judging by the evidence we have this far, no rational argument will make him change his mind.

As the number-one shutter-shock claimer on the forum I'm not sure if you're not throwing rocks while living in a glass house on this one. Surely you can do better than a personal attack.

In case you didn't notice, this post of mine was in reply to the OP, not Paulmorgan. In view of the circumstances, I thought it appropriate to inform him who he was dealing with and what he could consequently expect. What I offered was a factually correct description based on large amounts of consistent evidence.

In this particular case, it's very hard to reconcile the shutter speed of 1/250 with an image which is entirely blurred. At those speeds the second curtain will be closely following the first curtain, so a good part of the sensor (and image) will have been exposed before the first curtain closes. As the Imaging Resource piece which you cite as support for your shutter shock claims makes clear, if the entire image is blurred at 1/250 then the blurring is inconsistent with the theory that the burring is being caused by internal vibrations induced by the shutter/first curtain. Put another way, since non-uniform blurring was the prime piece of evidence cited so support the speculation that the blurring was being caused by the shutter, uniform blurring such as found refutes the idea that the blurring is being caused by the shutter.

The logic of your argument is in error for reasons already spelled out in my earlier reply to you here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52992779

On top of that, you additionally overlook here that the test and analysis of Imaging Resource you have in mind, i.e., this

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1BLUR.HTM

focuses on the E-P1, which has its max flash sync speed at 1/180 rather than at 1/320 as the E-P5. You also overlook that the mechanism on which IR focuses with regard to the E-P1 (that of the first curtain coming to a halt) is not the only mechanism we have to reckon with when it comes to shutter shock more generally (although it might be of particular importance with the specific gear combination tested and analyzed by Imaging Resource).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow