A quick day out with the Olympus E-M1 and the SONY a7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: A quick day out with the Olympus E-M1 and the SONY a7
In reply to eaa, 10 months ago

Hit reply too early back there. None of my photos showed any sign of shutter induced vibration. This is possibly because I was generally shooting at relatively high shutter speeds most of the time. I had not realized how quiet the E-M1 is, having used the GF1 for so long (which is even quieter.) Now with the a7 side by side, I begin to appreciate the quietness of the shutter on the E-M1.
None of the my a7 photos exhibited any such problem either. All photos were handheld. It might be argued that the E-M1 is more prone to SS because of the floating sensor design. I had originally intended to write up an article after I attached an accelerometer to both cameras to measure the actual shutter induced vibrations in all three-axes. I've not had time to do that yet but I can tell you, even without testing, that the a7 shutter makes way more sound and vibration compared to the E-M1 shutter.
In either case, no SS spotted.
About the ISO100 on the E-M1, yes, I was aware of this. I wanted the best possible quality as far as noise is concerned, and ISO100 (LOW) is actually less noisy than at ISO200. The noise that I observed is not much at all, but neither is it super clean. Actually, I should probably call it "grain" if it makes more sense. I've attached a crop of some of the grain I'm referring to on the E-M1. Saving it to JPEG hides the grain due to the colour optimization and compression.

Daniel Wee's gear list:Daniel Wee's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD750 Olympus C-2000 Zoom Nikon D70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow