A quick day out with the Olympus E-M1 and the SONY a7

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: A quick day out with the Olympus E-M1 and the SONY a7
In reply to eaa, 6 months ago

Hit reply too early back there. None of my photos showed any sign of shutter induced vibration. This is possibly because I was generally shooting at relatively high shutter speeds most of the time. I had not realized how quiet the E-M1 is, having used the GF1 for so long (which is even quieter.) Now with the a7 side by side, I begin to appreciate the quietness of the shutter on the E-M1.
None of the my a7 photos exhibited any such problem either. All photos were handheld. It might be argued that the E-M1 is more prone to SS because of the floating sensor design. I had originally intended to write up an article after I attached an accelerometer to both cameras to measure the actual shutter induced vibrations in all three-axes. I've not had time to do that yet but I can tell you, even without testing, that the a7 shutter makes way more sound and vibration compared to the E-M1 shutter.
In either case, no SS spotted.
About the ISO100 on the E-M1, yes, I was aware of this. I wanted the best possible quality as far as noise is concerned, and ISO100 (LOW) is actually less noisy than at ISO200. The noise that I observed is not much at all, but neither is it super clean. Actually, I should probably call it "grain" if it makes more sense. I've attached a crop of some of the grain I'm referring to on the E-M1. Saving it to JPEG hides the grain due to the colour optimization and compression.

Daniel Wee's gear list:Daniel Wee's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD750 Olympus C-2000 Zoom Nikon D70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow