Why Scott Kelby really switched to Canon

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
He's in for a shock in Lightroom
In reply to photomagic711, 6 months ago

photomagic711 wrote:

Very Simple, Scott Kelby is a great photographer and guru of photoshop.

1 out of 2 isn't bad. He is most definitely NOT a great photographer, more like a hobbyist who happens to write books on Photoshop.

I once made the mistake of purchasing "The Digital Photography Book" which is really a poor book filled with the most basic fluff "tips". Anyway, one or two of the images in the book are taken by Kelby, but the overwhelming majority are made by actual professional photographers.

Anyway, if he did switch to Canon for any reason other than following the money, he is in for a rude awakening once he opens up some Canon RAW files in Lightroom. Canon RAW files have nowhere near the DR range, color depth and overall RAW headroom of Nikon NEF files. It's not even close. So when I read about a so-called Photoshop / Lightroom expert changing to Canon, all I can think of is "I wish them good luck because they'll need it".

I cannot think of a more stupid move for a RAW shooter to make. Nikon has been using and producing the state of the art in sensor technology for the past 5 or 6 years. Nobody does it better. If you want to get a good idea of how far behind Canon is have a look at DxOMark Sensor Ratings:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings

Nikon cares very deeply about the "professional user" which is why they offer one of the most complete SLR systems in the world.   And for every story of somebody switching systems, there is one of someone switching to Nikon F.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow