ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
Like?
Visual acuity versus digital acuity?
11 months ago

Hi,

I have looked at some very sharp digital images from very good cameras, images posted here on the dpreview forums and elsewhere. I am very impressed with their sharpness. In my experience Canon  GiX, Sony  5N, Fuji X series, and lots of APC and full frame DSLRs all provide  such images and so no doubt do some other cameras.

So my question has little to do with specific cameras. What I am wondering as I look at these images on my computer, is whether I am actually seeing more detail in the image than I could see visually when I took the picture. I don't mean just noticing more things as I look at the image compared to what I noticed when I took the picture. I mean more details being visible in the digital image than I would have been able to see by looking hard when I took the picture.

The answer might be trivial when using a 300 mm tele lens, but what about  using a 28 mm lens, a35mm lens, or a 50mm lens,(in full frame equivalent)  that approximates the visual angle on which the eye can see many details?

For example, suppose my eyes can clearly see the world in front of me, including many details, at the same angle of view that a 35mm (full frame equivalent) lens would give me. Would the image with this lens, on a quality digital camera, actually show me more detail than I could discern (with effort) visually?

Comments welcome.

Krugman

Sony SLT-A35
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
FailNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow