Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelVadon
Contributing MemberPosts: 657
Like?
Sigma 15mm Fisheye 2.8 EX DG
9 months ago

I saw a deal on a used Sigma 15mm Fisheye and decided to buy it. I thought I would only use this lens for those few exceptional situations where a fisheye might be called for, but I have been having a lot of fun with it. DXO Optics Pro can correct the fisheye distortion and now it becomes a pseudo-15mm standard wide angle. I cannot compare this to the Canon 14mm because I have never owned one, but I do know the price of each. The Canon 14mm is somewhere in the $2500 neighborhood while you can get the Sigma used for about $500 give or take.  Lenses of these type are easily damaged and most of the used Canon 14mm are just that...damaged goods.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407592-USA/Sigma_476101_15mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

Here the sample photos I took over the weekend and the 2.8 aperture was very helpful in obtaining these non-flash interior photos.  I corrected the distortion by eye manually so I do not represent the correction as 100% correct.  However, in any event, it made for a delightful little lens.  I do have a Canon 17-40, but that lens is larger and cannot fit into a large pocket like this one can.

Whether you have a professional use for this lens is up to you, but I found the lens at least entertaining and fun garnering at least several likes on Facebook.  Quite honestly, I am not into fisheye photos, but I clearly like the corrected versions.  The photos may or may not be sharp or be for professional print, but I have a lot of fun with this lens and that counts a lot for me.

Be forewarned, the corrected JPEGS are at least 20mb in size.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow