Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joeletx
Contributing MemberPosts: 974Gear list
Like?
What shutter shock? I put my E-M1 to the test
10 months ago

I could not stand it with all this talks about SS. I had to do a test to put this thing to rest and to satisfy myself (just for myself folks! just read and look at the pictures before you voice your opinions). I never had a m43 camera until recently with the E-M1 and I have been using the 12-60 and the 50-200 SWD with the E-M1.

For this series of tests, I used the 12-60 with the E-M1 shooting the Sony Dream Machine clock at 60mm F/L, wide open at F/4.0 aperture priority using single point C-AF-TR and IS Auto mode. I varied ISO from 100-25,600 to achieve shutter speeds 0.77 sec - 1/320 sec. All shots are hand held from the same position. All pictures are low noise OOC without any PP.  Please look at the series of shots with captions below.

Un-cropped image shot with ceiling room light; auto WB with no flash

Cropped image, ISO-100, 0.77 second, "Dream Machine" is very blurry of course!

Cropped image, ISO-200, 0.5 second, "Dream Machine" is still blurry of course!

Cropped image, ISO-400, 1/5 second, "Dream Machine" is still slightly blurry of course!

Cropped image, ISO-800, 1/10 second, "Dream Machine" is not blurry! amazingly at 1/10 second!

Cropped image, ISO-1600, 1/20 second, "Dream Machine" is amazingly not blurry at all! nice and sharp!

Cropped image, ISO-3200, 1/40 second, "Dream Machine" is nice and sharp! no trace of shutter shock!

Cropped image, ISO-6400, 1/80 second, "Dream Machine" is sharp and grainy! still no trace of shutter shock!

Cropped image, ISO-12,800, 1/160 second, "Dream Machine" is sharp and very grainy! still no trace of shutter shock!

Cropped image, ISO-25,600, 1/320 second, "Dream Machine" is sharp and very grainy! what shutter shock?

As you can see! there are overwhelmed evidences to indicate that "shutter shock" does not exist for my E-M1 with 12-60 mm. This goes along with my original skeptical views on shutter shock. I was met with very hostile responds from few threads I commented. How dare was I to resist their strong views. Well, see for yourselves. Look at the EXIF data on each shot.

These are just for one example but as far as I am concerned, I see no shutter shock on ten of thousands pictures I took.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +5 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow