Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: More test data with various settings, noticeable improvement.
In reply to Anders W, 6 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Anders W wrote:

skyglider wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Mr Sincere wrote:

I quickly ran through some more settings (it's nice out, and I gotta get out and shoot something other than candy bar wrappers ).

Quick summary:

IS 1 vs IS Auto: Makes no difference. Didn't think it would, but thought it couldn't hurt to try.

Short Shutter Release: For some reason, enabling this creates a huge improvement. Does anyone have any idea why this might be? I can hear a click when I enable this, which makes me think it changes something mechanical. This improvement alone could almost be enough to make me keep the camera.

Judging by the evidence presented here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52306602

the shutter is "cocked" immediately after each exposure when release lag-time is set to short, so that the camera is already prepared to release the shutter again. If it is set to normal, the shutter is instead "cocked" immediately before the exposure. Possibly, the motion associated with the "cocking" operation is sufficiently "violent" to affect the exposure if carried out immediately prior to it.

I put "cock" in quotation marks since the shutters we are talking about here are not spring-loaded (as far as I know). Nevertheless, it seems that the actuator has to be prepared in some way before it can do the job.

Hi Anders W,

Could you expand on your explanation above? I thought that mirrorless cameras have to keep the shutter open in order to display the scene on the screen or in the view finder.

You are perfectly right about that.

If the shutter is cocked immediately after each exposure, then wouldn't the shutter then be blocking the light negating live display on the screen or viewfinder?

By "cocking" I mean "preparing the shutter for action". Even if shutters are no longer spring-loaded but driven by coreless micro motors (if this Wikipedia article is correct), it seems as if some preparatory steps must be taken before the shutter can go into action. Judging by the post I linked to in my reply to the OP, the difference between short and normal "release lag-time" is that with short, this preparation is done immediately after each exposure, before the shutter button is pressed for the next shot, whereas with normal, it is done right after the shutter button is pressed and right before the exposure.

I'm just really interested in learning how the "short shutter release" actually works.

Any downsides to using short release lag time? If not, then I don't quite understand why 'short' isn't the default setting (since it seems to reduce vibrations), and why it's even possible to choose between 'short' and 'normal'.

The downsides are higher power consumption and that the camera may misbehave if subjected to "sharp impacts". Apparently (I haven't verified this with the original source), the E-M1 manual says:

Also make sure that the camera is not subject to sharp impacts while in use. Such impacts may cause the monitor to stop displaying subjects. If this happens, turn the power off and on again.

In other words, take care not to shock the shutter.

What I imagine happens is that the shutter is "charged" (this is the term used on Copal's home page when they describe what coreless micro motors are good for) and held back by some mechanism sensitive to impact. If there is such an impact, the shutter may close accidentally so that live view is interrupted.

Thanks. Guess that sensitive (and power consuming) mechanism could be an electromagnet.

Something like that, yes.

Still find it a bit confusing. Can the first curtain be 'cocked' before it's closed to prepere the exposure? Or maybe it's just the second curtain that's 'cocked' beforehand?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow