Convince me to jump ship Nikon V1 to M4/3!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,821
Like?
Re: Convince me to jump ship Nikon V1 to M4/3!
In reply to NathanCrisman, 8 months ago

NathanCrisman wrote:

Iv been looking more and more at the panasonic GX7, G6, or the EM5. (EM1 being simply too expensive). While I do like my Nikon V1 kit (6.7-13, 10, 10-30, 30-110, 18.5) for it's bulk/weight, I still yearn for all the control and ergonomic fixes that most V1 owners gripe about. IMHO image quality is excellent on the V1, so any improvement going to M4/3 is welcome, but not a consideration in the decision.

I'm looking with contempt at the panasonic 8mm fisheye, wishing nikon would put out a native CX fish (never happen). When I was DX nikon..the 10.5mm fisheye was a go-to lens for me?

I guess the the next step is to confirm via this forum that the Mu4/3 system does indeed "fix" my gripes enough to warrant the expense of a Nikon1 sell off ....

does the touchscreen work well to move focus points quickly while using the EVF?......IMHO the v1's method is annoying And fiddley using the tiny 4 way buttons, and the center button doesn't reset it to middle.

With Olympus, you're still set to using the 4 way. Panasonic I believe have the option to move the focus point with the touchscreen while EVFing.

can the EVF and LCD be set to show WYSIWYG exposure?....ie..turn off auto gain on the screens. I want to look in the viewfinder and see the actual exposure and resultant capture. Right now with my V1 in M mode...I can set ISO200/F5.6 1/200 in a dim room....look in the he viewfinder and see a nicely lit room, yet shoot a frame that is solid black. In that situation, I want to see solid black Before I capture.

Not sure, but with Olympus, I have mine set so that the EVF shows the exposure within a certain range. Outside of that range it will still display, but will start flashing blue and orange highlight and shadow blinkies, showing areas that are going to be under and over exposed.

Auto ISO Adjustable limits, logical use in M mode, display of chosen value in EVF? ISO on a mechanical button would be awesome too Rather than menu only.

On Olympus at least, yes to all of the above. You need to enable it in M mode.

live histogram Or even white point clipping Pre-capture?

Yes. Live histogram and blinkies on Olympus.

Any control for off camera flash. Can the pop-up work as a commander?

Ok, all my notes are for Olympus. I can't speak for Panasonic. Yes, the little flash will control multiple remote flashes using light signals (not radio)

better quality tactile feel of buttons& switches. My V1 has a lot of use, now the power, shutter, and play buttons feel loose. The power button sometimes is unresponsive and needs multiple pushes (Missed shots due to this). The shutter button has lost its "half push" click/stop.

Can't answer this one as I don't know what the N1 series buttons are like. I haven't had any loose buttons or dials with my E-M5, or E-M1.

on the flip side there are a few things I'm sure to be annoyed with in Mu4/3:

slightly bigger lenses in physical size/weight (side effect of bigger sensor). I'm more concerned with weight than bulk.

lens mount bayonet that rotates reverse of nikon (been a nikon guy for decade- old habits die hard)

do oly/pano zoom and focus rings function in reverse rotation compared to nikon? (Clockwise to zoom FL+)

Yes, I think so. IIRC, focus ring direction can be changed via the menus. Zooms go anticlockwise to zoom in.

4:3 aspect ratio riles!!! I have been composing in 3:2 for years and years (since looking down into hass 501C). This is a big change in either the way I shoot or the way I post process. 50% of my pics end up printed 4x6"

You can set 3:2 in camera, but I'd recommend you give 4:3 a try. It's a really versatile ratio. Especially when you shoot portrait.

As a side note, I dabbled with m4/3 2 years ago when I first sold off my nikon dslr gear and got out of photography as a job (wedding & events). Had a e-pl2 w/ kit lens that was adequate for IQ but I couldn't do without an EVF. I got into nikon V1 right about when they started selling fire sale stupid cheap.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow