GX7 Lens Review on DxO

Started Dec 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
Re: So does the GX7 have an AA filter, I thought not
In reply to Joel Stern, 11 months ago

Joel Stern wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

I remember threads from 2 weeks ago on this... So what is the answer?

To my knowledge, there is no official statement from Panasonic that it does not have an AA filter (as one would expect if it had actually been removed). Optyczne.pl (the Polish version of Lenstip) draws the conclusion from their testing that it has an AA which may be slightly weaker than in earlier Panasonics but slightly stronger than that in the E-P5. That it has an AA of some kind is also the conclusion I draw after comparing it with the AA-less E-M1 based on the reviews here on DPR. Both show some color moiré but the E-M1 a bit more so.

I called Panasonic sonic and the say No, but to me the images say Yes.

When you say they said "no" you mean that they are claiming that it has no AA filter? And who did you get in touch with? In my experience, it's not unusual that tech reps are wrong.

Yes, they said no filter. I spoke with their CS people wha are clueless. I then emailed ans was sent a phone number for Tech Services. I called and got an email back iterating that there was no AA filter. When I compare images taken at the same time ans same or close FL, Aperture settings I see both the Ricog Gzr used at 35mm crop and the Fuji XE2 with 23mm lens sharper than GX7 and 20mm Panasonic lens. I have processes in LR, CapOne and Aperture and now will try Photo Ninja. Still ths GX images are very good if one does not get compulsive. There is morer detail from the AOS sensors. Of courser these do not have AA filters.

Thanks. Still seems to be some reasons to doubt what their tech people say for reasons we have both pointed out.

On the other hand, the camera should of course nevertheless do better in the DxO lens tests than their results show. One would expect performance to be at least on a par with that of the GH2. So something is amiss here.

Agreed......I find there results unbelievable For the GX7, have not really read others. did not see Fuji lenses listed, maybe have to look again.

They haven't tested the sensors of any Fuji X bodies either, probably because they don't use a conventional Bayer filter (which may in turn cause difficulties with their testing procedures). That may also be the reason why they haven't tested any Fuji-X lenses. This may change now that there is at least one body (X-A1) with a conventional Bayer sensor.

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow