Canon 330 HS vs S110 I know I know

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
racollins
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
Re: No manual control
In reply to Year77, 3 months ago

I don't have an S110 but I have owned the S90 through the S100. Based on those cameras I would agree that the S-series is a 'better' camera than the 330 HS, beginning with the amount of control you have over the picture making process. Added to that, the sensor is larger and the lens is faster (even though it stops down pretty quickly as you move through the zoom range), so higher image quality is expected. That being said though, the 330 HS is pretty amazing in its abilities to also produce outstanding images and the fact that there is so much discussion about the camera itself says a lot, and the fact that there is a pretty involved discussion here comparing it to an S-series camera says even more! Like Year77, I fully understand having both as they both meet different needs, just as painters have several paintbrushes for different purposes. (Incidentally, I tried explaining that logic to my girlfriend but she didn't buy it and doesn't know why I need so many cameras. I haven't told her that I plan to acquire an S120 because she would wonder why I need that on top of having the 330 HS, SX280 HS, and several other compacts, not to mention the EOS M. Oh well, they're all small and black so she may not notice one more...one day she'll understand my needs!) The 330 HS is perfect for the times I want to go out with a camera and simply take pictures without putting much more into the process than seeing and framing the shot. With the 330 HS I can do this and know that I'll get a great picture, even as the ISO has to creep up. If I want to be more creative, I'll use a camera that gives me more control rather than the 330, and this would be where I'd grab the S110/120 or a G-something. By the way, the 330 shot at ISO 800 looks pretty good. Remember when we wouldn't dare shoot a standard-sensor PowerShot at ISO 800 and expect a good image?

Andy

racollins's gear list:racollins's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow